blue header
About Us...
We provide professional development, consultation, and technical assistance to campus-based speech-language pathologists and IEP teams in order to support making informed decisions during the evaluation process and when providing speech and language therapy services.
double gear image
Speech-Language Pathology Services
Region 17 provides services in the area of speech-language pathology including:
  • Consultation
  • Professional development
  • Technical assistance
  • Resources
Speech-Language Pathology Master’s (SLP) Degree Program Statewide Distance Venue
To address the shortage of master’s level speech-language pathologists (SLPs) in Texas schools, a partnership was formed with Texas education service centers, Texas Woman’s University (TWU), Texas Education Agency (TEA), and local educational entities to provide a master’s degree program for both in-field and out-of-field students.  The program utilizes videoconferencing, web-based instruction, and clinical experiences on school campuses, hospitals, nursing homes, clinics, and rehabilitation centers.  Successful program completion prepares graduates to apply for Texas licensure in speech pathology and American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) certification. The master of science education program in speech-language pathology at Texas Woman’s University is accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CAA) of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA).  The Region 10 Education Service Center (ESC) provides statewide coordination of the program and, along with other participating ESCs, assists students by providing classroom sites and classroom coordinators.

While applicants accepted into this program will be fully prepared to serve in any professional setting, this program is intended to help ameliorate the shortage of licensed, certified SLPs in Texas public schools and is open only to those committed to employment with a public school district or charter school.

The SLP Distance Learning Venue is designed to allow students to work in the schools as licensed speech-language pathology assistants while completing the requirements for the master’s degree. Each student must secure sponsorship from an educational entity (e.g., school district or charter school) and maintain it throughout the master’s program.  Students must attend classes in a participating ESC.

The program also provides the opportunity to complete a Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Bilingual Speech-Language Pathology.  Students interested in pursuing this certificate will take additional coursework and complete bilingual practicum hours while in the program.
If you are an "out of field" interested candidate (your bachelor's degree is in a field other than speech-language pathology) please read about leveling courses here:
Cycle 12 Information Meetings...
The application process for Cycle 12 of the TWU Speech-Language Pathologist (SLP) Master’s Degree Distance Program is closed.  Cycle 12 will begin May 2023 and end August 2025. Information concerning the next cycle will be posted when available. 
blue hr
Licensure and Certification for Speech Language Pathologists 
Speech-language pathologists in the public schools serve students with speech and/or language impairments. A speech or language impairment is defined as “a communication disorder, such as stuttering, impaired articulation, a language impairment, or a voice impairment, that adversely affects a child’s educational performance” (C.F.R. §300.8.).
Speech-language pathologists who work in the public schools must have a master’s degree, have passed a national certification examination, and have completed a year of clinical fellowship. Further, they must be licensed by the state of Texas. For more information, see the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) Administrative Rules.
Speech-language pathology assistants who work in the public schools must have a bachelor’s degree, have completed 25 hours of observation, and must be licensed by the state of Texas. Their practice must be supervised by a licensed, certified Speech-language pathologist. For more information, see the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) Administrative Rules.
Contact Us!
Kasey Murillo, M.S., CCC/SLP

Education Specialist

Evelyn Gilson

Support Staff

blue spacer image